So how much does a custom sofa cost?
Some might think that purchasing a custom sofa through a designer/decorator is well, extravagant…
So, how much does a custom sofa cost, you ask?
It seems like something you can go to your local furniture store to buy, right? Why bother getting a decorator involved? Yes, the decorator can co-ordinate it with everything else in the room and choose paint colours if you’re going to re-paint but really, why get the sofa through the decorator? That must be a more expensive way to go, you’d think, right?
Well, it depends on how custom we’re talking.
A custom sofa can typically range from $2,000-$5,000. That depends on frame, fabric, cushioning, detailing and whether you’re designing it from scratch or using a manufacturer’s existing pattern.
Let’s break it down for you.
Starting at approx. $2,000
You can get a standard length sofa (approx 84″) starting at $2,000 at a production house manufacturer. (i.e. they run an assembly line operation)
- using the manufacturer’s own in-house fabrics (we’re talking 100’s to choose from)
- no changes are allowed to the order with respect to design details (other than fabric), ie., stain on legs, skirt vs no skirt, tufting vs. no tufting…the piece comes as shown
- customization of lengths available at an upcharge
- kiln-dried hardwood frames and foam of 2.0 density.
- no sag sinuous spring construction
What’s in it for you? solid construction and customization available with respect to fabric and length only. A decorator will make sure the fabric works within the total scheme of the room and likely add gorgeous custom cushions for ‘wow’ factor.
A beautifully tufted sofa supplied by Lumar Interiors
Starting at $2,500
You can get a bench made piece (as opposed to production house quality)
- a broader selection of fabrics to choose from (we’re talking 1,000’s to choose from)
- can make some changes to furniture at no charge i.e., customize stain colour on show wood, select firmness level of seating,…
- can make advanced changes for an upcharge i.e., can customize lengths of furniture, change from skirt to wood legs, change arm styles….
- kiln-dried hardwood frames and superior foam of 2.2 – 2.5 density
- can be sinuous spring or web and coil construction
What’s in it for you? superior construction and extensive customization available making the piece unique for you and your requirements.
Starting at $3,000 and up
You can get a bench made sofa as above but a much broader selection of designer fabrics and luxe feather/down mix cushioning available.
What’s in it for you? Totally customizable with respect to fabric, size, seating, and details. You can create a piece that is uniquely you.
Plenty of stylish sofas available out there you say. True. But check the construction, country of origin, quality issues, warranties, customization options and fabric selection. Last I checked Restoration Hardware, for instance, sells an 84″ sofa for starting at $2,450 (plus 20% for Canadians = $2,940) with a choice of 6 fabrics in 7 different colours. Period. Don’t get me wrong, love Restoration Hardware for many things….sofas, not so much:)
With 1000’s of options available, doesn’t it make sense to have a decorator tailor a sofa just for you? Starting at very reasonable pricing you get superior construction – a solid sofa worth reupholstering in 15 years. (as opposed to disposable – what better way to be ‘green’?) The sofa will be the right size, comfort level and just the look you are after!
Check out our portfolio for more examples of beautiful custom sofas https://www.lumarinteriors.com/types/interior-design-portfoliio/