Caring for your new Custom Upholstery
Beautifully crafted upholstered furniture can last a lifetime with minimal care. Do these 3 things routinely and they will always sit pretty:)
- Frequently vacuum to remove dust and lint. You know the dust that settles on your cocktail tables and bookcases? Well, it’s also settling on the backs of sofas and chairs. Not only is this unhealthy but it dullens the fabric and weakens fibres.
- Flip and rotate back and seat cushions. This will equalize wear and tear and any fading that occurs. Back and seat cushions can ‘squish’ down with repeated use. So flipping them reshapes them naturally.
- Fluff the toss cushions to redistribute fill. This is why we typically use feather/down fill inserts. Although they cost a little more, they have a much longer life span. Simply squeezing and fluffing them brings them back to their plump shape. This will not work on synthetic dacron inserts.
If you need some serious cleaning done we recommend using a professional cleaning service. They will likely want to know the fibre content or the cleaning code for that fabric. So it would be a good idea to find this out with your purchase. The 4 code classifications are:
- W: OK to use water for cleaning.
- S: Only use a solvent-based cleaner on fabric.
- SW: Either water or a solvent cleaner is safe to use.
- X: Only use a vacuum for cleaning.
A well-used sofa or chair should last you at least 10 years before needing recovering. Keeping it fresh looking will prolong it’s life and your enjoyment of it.